Police in Rogers Park have issued warnings on two recent crime incidents, including a spate of armed robberies – one that also involved a shooting – and a series of catalytic converter thefts.
On January 23, 2020 a 33-year-old man was shot in the chest by two men at 8:25 p.m. in on 670-block of North Bosworth. The man was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston, where he was listed in stable condition. According to Ald. Maria Hadden, the shooting was connected to a series of armed robberies across the city over several days, including two within minutes of the Jan. 23 shooting. One took place on the 1300 block of West Thorndale; the other in the 1000 block of West Buena.
“Police have a description of the vehicle (used in the robberies) and the suspects,” Hadden said in her weekly newsletter to constituents. “They are investigating these incidents, and they will dedicate the necessary resources to continue in their pursuit of this matter.”
There were also 12 robberies from Jan. 13 to Jan. 16, all of which involved removal of catalytic converters from cars. Catalytic converters are emissions control devices popular with thieves because they can be resold.
The incidents occurred at:
- The 2200-block of W. Morse at approximately 4:20 pm on January 13;
- The 1900-block of W. Estes between 9 pm January 13 and 8 am January 14;
- The 2900-block of W. Estes between 10:15 pm january 13 and 7:15 am January 14;
- The 7500-block of N. Winchester between 2:30 pm January 14 and 7:40 am January 15;
- The 7300-block of N. Honore between 6 pm January 14 and 7:30 am January 15;
- The 7100-block of N. Wolcott between 6 pm January 14 and 7:30 am;
- The 7100-block of N. Damen between 7:30 pm;
- The 2000-block of W. Morse between 5 pm January 13 and 6:30 am January 14;
- The 2200-block of W. Morse between 5 pm and 1 pm January 14;
- The 1400-block of W. Sherwin between 12:30 pm January 14 and 1:30 pm January 15;
- The 13-block of W. Jarvis at approximately 6 pm January 14; and
- The 1300-block of W. Sherwin between 9:30 pm January 14 and 9 am January 15.
Anyone with information on any of these crimes should call Area North Bureau of Detectives at 312-744-8263.