By Oscar Marquez
Chicago Police said Monday they are still looking for a man who briefly grabbed a 11 year old girl from behind in Rogers Park.
The incident took place last Thursday around 8:40 a.m. on the 1500 block of West North Shore Ave. A man walked up to the girl from behind while she was walking to Kilmer Elementary School, at 6700 N. Greenview, which she attends. The man allegedly grabbed her hand for several seconds without speaking, then let go and walked away southbound, police said.
Police described the offender as a 40-year-old black male, very slim and “boney,” with a clean-shaven face, a bald, shaved head, and a strong odor of cigarette smoke. The offender was last seeing wearing a green sweatshirt and black jeans.
The police issued a community alert and gave several tips to be safe :
- Be aware of this situation and alert your neighbors and students.
- Call 911 to report any suspicious persons, vehicles or activity in your neighborhood.
- Do not walk alone. Identify safe havens along your route between the destination and home, such as businesses or trusted neighbors.
- Contact a safe passage worker or school administrator.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
Police asked anyone with information about the incident to call the Area North Bureau of Detectives at (312) 744-8261, or Distract 24 at (312) 744 – 5907. Anonymous Tips can be submitted to TIPSOFT.COM